IBF Featherweight world champion Lee Selby (23-1, 8 KOs) will fight for the second time in the United States when he battles former world champion Jonathan Victor Barros (41-4-1, 22 KOs) in action on Showtime Extreme in the USA and Sky Sports in the UK on Saturday, January 28 from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
“It’s been a dream of mine since I was a young kid to box in a world title fight in Las Vegas, the mecca of boxing,” said Selby. “I’ve seen U.K. fighters like Lennox Lewis, Ricky Hatton, Joe Calzaghe and Amir Khan box in Las Vegas and I always knew that’s where I wanted to fight. My mandatory challenger is experienced, dangerous and I will not take him lightly. I’ve had a strong training camp and I am 100 percent focused on putting on a show for the American fans and the travelling fans from the U.K. My number one objective is to bring my world title back to Wales.”
“I’m very excited for this opportunity to compete for another world title in Las Vegas,” said Barros. “I have worked hard to put myself in this position and I am going to make the most of it. Selby has never faced anyone as dangerous as me and I plan on making it a long night for him. I am going to become another Argentine world champion and bring the title back to my country.”
SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING is headlined by the highly anticipated world title rematch between Ireland’s Carl Frampton and former three division world champion Leo Santa Cruz. Televised coverage begins at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT with unbeaten lightweight world champion Dejan Zlaticanin taking on undefeated former two-division world champion Mikey Garcia.
Selby has been referred to as the “Welsh Floyd Mayweather” because of the elusive style and ring generalship that led to him winning his featherweight world championship via a technical decision over Evgeny Gradovich in May 2015. Since then, the 29-year-old has defended his belt successfully against former champion Fernando Montiel and top challenger Eric Hunter. Selby has won 19 bouts in a row as he prepares for his Las Vegas debut.
A pro since 2004, Barros was unbeaten in his first 29 fights in Argentina before dropping a title shot to Yuriokis Gamboa. Barros won a world title in his second opportunity by stopping Irving Berry in the seventh round of their 2010 showdown. Barros went on to defend his title with victories over Miguel Roman and Celestino Caballero. He has won seven fights in a row to earn another world title opportunity after most recently beating Satoshi Hosono in Japan.
Past Pro Boxers
Sanigar Events News
- Selby Takes on Barros
- Haskins and Burnett Make Weight For IBF Showdown
- Against The Grain - Professional Boxing 30th June
- Young Guns - Professional Boxing June 23rd Bristol
- Haskins Defends World Title In Belfast
- ANDREW SELBY FACES CRISTOFER ROSALES IN MASSIVE WBC WORLD TITLE ELIMINATOR
- Turley Claims Commonwealth Title Achieving Life Long Dream
- Turley vs Jenkinson - Vacant Commonwealth Title Clash
- Crunch Time - Results
- Acid Test - April 7th Newport Centre View All